Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) is an evidence-based, interprofessional, and multidisciplinary training program that equips the entire maternity care team with skills to effectively manage obstetric emergencies. This comprehensive course encourages a standardized team-based approach amongst physicians, residents, nurse midwives, registered nurses and other members of the maternity care team to improve patient safety and positively impact maternal outcomes.
Learners will be provided an e-mail that includes next steps and the ALSO Online Course URL. Content consists of a pre-test; recorded lectures; online case studies; workstation demonstrations; post-test and a course evaluation. Learners MUST ATTEST AND CLAIM CREDIT to automatically register as 'Complete' and qualify to attend the Live Course.
OVERALL COURSE OBJECTIVES:
1. Plan to utilize demonstrated educational tools that can be used when giving feedback to ALSO course participants.
2. Identify strategies to assist participants with questions and conflicts that can occur during the workstations.
3. Develop plans to demonstrate teaching competence in hands-on role-play utilizing maternal-fetal mannequins.
4. Facilitate group discussion and consider ways to implement faculty and learner feedback to enhance the educational experience.
5. Facilitate a simulated group testing scenario from set up through team observation, debriefing and evaluation.
6. Devise a plan to assist Instructor Candidates in achieving and maintaining full ALSO Instructor status.